Saturday, December 22

Trip in Yunan 2004



Today, just happen to see thru my old pic and found this pics taken in China, Yunan.

This trip was indeed unforgettable. It was my virgin trip for Community Service and hence with the collaboration of Youth Expedition Project and Singapore International Foundation, a few of us fr all walks of life (NIE students, Army, Uni Undergraduate, Church goers, aspiring lawyers...) set off to help the less fortunate.

The prep was done sooooo long ago. Mtgs and mtgs nvr seem to end.

I can still remember the long train ride i have to endure from the Yunan capital (Kunming) to another big city (Dali). It was like a overnight ride lor (fr 10 plus @ night till 6plus early nxt morning). After which, have to sit on a few hrs bus ride to the small village.

The 1st Culture shock we gt was the toilet! Hmmm.. No flushing system, no doors... There was once incidewnt whereby i visited the toilet early morning to do my biz when students came in. When they saw us, they even greeted us.. Wah lau... Don know how to reply them lor.

Other than the sec sch students in the village, high sch students also came to us as we org a summer camp for them. This bunch of students are very talented lor.. Some even know how to play erhu.

Another thing to mention is that the trip was in June. However, in the morning when we woke up, it was freezing. I still remember that when my frenz wole me up, i was feeling irritated as I jus wan to snug in my warm slping bag. The temp there was worse than Cambodia's morning tempreature.

Despite the differences we have, both pple from the two countries jell pretty fast. At the end of the trip, after we spent 10 days in the sec sch, we felt very reluactant to leave. All the staff and students were crying. Needless to say, our tear ducts were doing their job pretty well too, i must say. On the bus ride back to the main city, the Principal was cracking a few jokes to make us happier but then... haiz.... Why cant he just shut up ? I know its with gd intention but @ tat time, it will be better if we could jus have a few quiet moments.

The R & R was gd also. I love the hotels that we stayed in during the R & R. Big and very comfortable. Visited a few sceneric spots that i will nvr forget.

I nvr regret gg onto this trip. Though there were some disagreements here and there, even amg ourselves, i did learn quite a number of things there. Seeing the faces of the students there made up for wat ever hard work we endured. I miss them so much that i even back packed alone there a few months ltr. haha. crazy me.

Till now, i still keep in contact with a few (then) high sch students ther via snail mail, email or even via long dist calling. Nvr will I ever forget that this short trip i did in my journey of life...........

No comments: